Northcoders is the UK's leading coding bootcamp. In August 2018, we'll kick off our first ever apprenticeship scheme. You can find out more, or apply, here. Interested businesses can find out more here.
From the outset, Northcoders has been about getting tech into the life and fabric of the North, and its people into tech, for the benefit of all.
Since 2015, we've been determined to offer an unparalleled opportunity for people from all walks of life to upskill and kickstart fulfilling careers, and for businesses to hire truly career-ready Software Developers.
We've been brewing this news for a while... so we're really happy that the moment has finally arrived!
Behind the scenes, we've been working incredibly hard to prepare The Northcoders Apprenticeship programme, so that your business can hire career-ready apprentices with your Apprenticeships Levy.
How We're Solving Common Apprenticeship Problems
- Unskilled Apprentices: Particularly in Software Development, apprentices usually simply can't add value because they haven't learned to code yet! Northcoders Apprentices hit the ground running, writing production-ready code from the beginning.
- Traditional Training Methods: It's just not the way to train Software Developers! You want creative, commercially-aware, communicative developers, and traditional classroom teaching doesn't achieve this.We've been refining the way we do things for over 2 years. Having trained hundreds of students, we really know our craft. Our programme centres around real workplace practices like version control, pair programming and agile methodologies.
- Out-of-Date Training: Just like degrees, a 14-month apprentice training programmes is often 14 months (or more) out of date, teaching old technology, which is unhelpful particularly in such a fast-moving industry. We update our curriculum every 2 weeks based on feedback from our Hiring Partners, industry experts and students, and each group will receive the most up-to-date possible iteration of the training.
- Long Programmes: Your hiring strategies usually don't change every 2 years - they change every year! And with the money you put in the Levy pot expiring in 2 years, longer apprenticeship programmes simply don't make sense. We achieve the same results in just 14 months.
- Spotting Talent: How can you know how they'll perform in a commercial environment, totally dissimilar to anything they've seen before whilst in school? As part of our standard application process, we make sure that the kind of people that become Northcoders are the kind of people who can become collaborative, commercially-aware Developers. We accept only 8-15% of applicants to our main programme.
We know how important diversity is for your teams. Technology is defining what it means to be human, so it's only right that that future is defined by people from all walks of life. Yet the cost of enrolling on The Developer Pathway can preclude many people, who would otherwise be successful Software Developers, from being able to pursue this bright future.
We've begun to address this by awarding over 40 scholarships to date to people from underrepresented groups, or to those who have faced hardship, barriers or adversity. We are extremely grateful to EY and ThoughtWorks for their sponsorship of 15 of these people.
Now, with The Northcoders Apprenticeship, we can empower yet more people to make the most of the abundance of opportunity that exists in the tech sector in the North of England.
You can apply to become a Northcoders Apprentice here.
You can register your interest in attending a Selection Day to hire a Northcoders Apprentice here.
Got questions? Give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org!